Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 54: If Your Life Had A Face, I Would Punch It

SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD (2010)
Directed by Edgar Wright
Starring: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Ellen Wong, Jason Schwartzman, Brandon Routh, Alison Pill, Mark Webber, Johnny Simmons

Have you ever wondered what it might be like if your life were more like a video game?

No?  You say that was just me?

Actually, it wasn’t just me.  And since somebody made a movie (and comic book series) based on that exact premise, I actually feel justified.  I’m normal.  You’re the freaks. 

Anyway…

Scott Pilgrim (Cera) is a typical Canadian young adult.  He’s in a kick-ass garage band called Sex Bob-omb, he’s dating a high school girl (“We almost held hands once, but she got embarrassed”) and lives in what appears to be a basement with his gay roommate Wallace (Culkin).  Then, one magical day, he meets the girl of his dreams, Ramona.  Now I know what you’re thinking: he’s got to figure out a way to get with Ramona without breaking his current girlfriend’s heart, right?  Well…yeah, there’s that.  But he’s also got to defeat Ramona’s Seven Evil Exes (not necessarily “ex-boyfriends”) in video-game-inspired hand-to-hand combat, complete with score counter, power-ups and extra lives. 

This is the kind of movie that may not appeal to older audience members who didn’t grow up with video games and comic books.  But that’s okay.  It wasn’t exactly made for you, just like A Hard Day’s Night wasn’t made for your parents.  But as someone who grew up with both, I have to say, this movie really nailed it.  Like I said, I don’t think I’m the only one who ever daydreamed about what it would be like to take down the school bully Mortal Kombat-style.  And this movie was so much like my dreams, it was a bit scary. 

I know I usually talk about how good (or bad) the acting was, but in this case, it wasn’t so much about the acting, which is pretty good, considering the fact that it’s a special effects showcase.  Movies like this are really more about the casting than the actual performances; trying to get the best type rather than the best performer.  On that scale, it was pretty spot-on.  Everyone delivered a type of sarcastic, deadpan performance, which, if you listen to the young people around us today, is right on the money.  If I had to pick one performance that stands out, it would be Kieran Culkin as Wallace.  I for one am glad to see a gay character that isn’t the stereotypical limp-wristed, mincing nancy-boy that appears in 99% of movies that call for a gay character.  He was just a regular, everyday person, as are most gay people I know (though he is a bit of a man-whore).

Once again, I found myself watching a film based on a comic book series I had only skimmed through once when I was at Barnes & Nobel.  I suppose I should stop doing that and only review films based on books I’ve read, but that’s not really the purpose here.  I just tell you whether or not I liked the movie.  And I liked this one a lot. 

1 comment:

  1. I keep hearing good things about this film. I don't play videogames, but I hang out with folks who do. I'm hoping I have enough knowledge thru osmosis by the time I see it. I fear that I will not and turn into the fuddy-duddy old fart that just wants you off his lawn. Oh dear. Fear & trepidation abound! ;^)

    ReplyDelete